210th Replacement Company.

210th Replacement Battalion

                                                                                                                        APO 545

                                                                                                                        13 April 1944

HISTORY – ARRIVAL IN UNITED KINGDOM TO 31 MARCH 1944

a.       Unit or Installation. The 210th Replacement Company is located in Glastonbury, Somerset, England, map coordinates VT 9360, Ordance Survey ten-mile map of Great Britian.

b.      Organization and Establishment.

(1)   Activation. The 210th Replacement Company came into existence as such on November 1, 1943, when Company B, 54th Replacement Battalion, was reorganized and redesignated ast the 210th Replacement Company, in compliance with General Order No. 34, Headquarters, Camp Butner, North Carolina, 1943.

(2)   Boundaries and locations.

(a)    The 54th Replacement Battalion was activated at Camp Sutton, North Carolina, about one mile from Monroe, North Carolina.

(b)   On 25 August 1943 the Battalion was removed to Camp Butner, North Carolina, about 15 miles north of Durham, North Carolina, at which location the reorganization and redesignation of 1 November took place.

(c)    On 18-19 December, the 210th Replacement Company was removed to Camp Kilmer, New Jersey.

(d)   The 210th Replacement Company departed New York on 8 January 1944 via liner Mauretania and debarked at Liverpool, England, on 19 January 1944 and then traveled by rail to Frome, Somerset, and then to Glastonbury by motor convoy, arriving 19 January 1944.

(3)   Roster of Officers. See appendix “C” for roster of officers with changes.

(4)   Biographical data on Commanding Officers:

(5)   Personnel. At the time or arrival in the United Kingdom, the Company had a strength of 4 officers and 31 enlisted men. On 31 March 1944, the strength was 3 officers and 31 enlisted men. See appendix “D”.

(6)   Facilities. The 210th Replacement Company operates two camps for casual enlisted personnel, Railroad and Abby Park, plus one separate quarters known as the Chicken Coop, and has casual officers in two quarters, 28 Northlode and the Poplars.  Abby Park is composed of hutments; Railroad Camp is part hutments and part building furnished by the British. Messes are operated in both camps, that at Abby Park being a large, double hutment, and that at Railroad Camp being a large building belonging to the British.

(c)  Functions. The function of a replacement company is the reception, administration, supply, training, and preparation for transfer of replacements, as directed by higher authority.

(d)  Operations. Since it’s arrival in the United Kingdom from the United States, the 210th Replacement Company has received a total of 102 casual officers and 626 casual enlisted men and transferred 73 officers and 187 enlisted men, leaving a casual strength of 29 officers and 439 enlisted men as of 31 March 1944. In addition, a number of officers and enlisted men were processed for detached service. See appendixes “E” and “F”.

(e)      Awards and Citations. No personnel have been honored since the Company arrived in the United Kingdom, but personnel shown in Appendix “G” were honored in the United States by the 12th Replacement Depot.

(f)        Additional Data. The 210th Replacement Company is attached to Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 54th Replacement Battalion, which is in turn attached to the 9th Replacement Depot. The Company is assisted in training by the 102nd and 38th Cavalry Replacement Training Detachment.

IRA W. HART,

1st Lt. UAS,

Commanding.

Appendix A   Activation order*

Appendix B   Reconstruction and Redesignation Order*

Appendix C   Roster of Officers – from arrival in UK to 31 March 1944**

*See battalion orders page.

** See Battalion Officers page.

—————————————————————————————-

S E C R E T

210th Replacement Company

                                                                                                           APO 545

8 July 1944

HISTORY1 JULY TO SEPTEMBER 1944

a.       Unit or Installation. The 210th Replacement Company is located at Glastonbury, Somerset, England, map coordinates VT 9560, Ordnance Survey Ten-Mile map of Great Britian.

b.      Organization and establishment.

(1)    Activation. The 210th Replacement Company came into existence as such on 1 November 1943, when Company B, 54th Replacement Battalion was reorganized and redesignated as the 210th Replacement Company, in compliance with General order No. 34, Headquarters, Camp Butner, North Carolina, 1943.  Company B, with the rest of the 54th Replacement Battalion, had been activated 25 May 1943 in accordance with General Order no. 11, Headquarters, Camp Sutton, North Carolina, 1943.

(2)    Boundaries and locations.

(a)    The 54th Replacement Battalion was activated at Camp Sutton, North Carolina, about one mile from Monroe, North Carolina.

(b)   In August 1943 the Battalion was removed to Camp Butner, North Carolina, about 15 miles north of Durham, North Carolina, at which location the reorganization and redesignation of 1 November 1943 took place.

(c)    On 18-19 December 1943, the 210th Replacement Company was removed to Comp Kilmer, New Jersey.

(d)   The 210th Replacement Company departed from New York on 8 January 1944 via liner Mauretania and debarked at Liverpool England, on 19 January 1944 and then traveled by rail to Frome, Somerset, and then to Glastonbury by motor convoy, arriving 19 January 1944.

(3)    Roster of Officers. See Appendix “C” for roster of officers with changes.*

(4)    Biographical information on Commanding officers.

(a)                George B. Erdman, First Lt. Infantry, 01316395, was commanding officer of the 210th Replacement Company when it arrived in the United Kingdom, having assumed command of the Company on 4 September 1943, relieving 2nd Lt. Alton U. Robinson, Infantry who had commanded the Company (then Company B), since its activation. Lt. Erdman had been assigned to Headquarters and to Company A of the Battalion prior to the time he joined Company B.

Lt. Erdman was born 16 January 1903. He had an extensive military background, having served with the United States Marine Corps from 26 August 1920 to 25 August 1922 and from 26 April 1923 to 17 May 1927 and with the Marine Corps Reserve from 18 May 1927 to 17 May 1931. He was inducted into the Army of the United States on 18 June 1942 and was commissioned a 2nd Lt, Infantry, 1 April 1943, following his graduation from Infantry Officer Candidate School, Fort Benning, Georgia. He was promoted to 1st Lt. On 23 October 1943.

Following a period of hospitalization, Lt. Erdman was transferred to the Detachment of Patients, 298th General Hospital, on or about 18 March 1944. He was then reassigned and joined from the 10th Replacement Depot to this company on 15 April 1944. Appointed Company Commander of Abby Park Camp, on 1 May 1944, he went on Detached Service to 10th Replacement Depot APO 874.  .

(b)     IRA W. HART, 1st Lt, Army of the United States, 01895711, was transferred to, and assumed command of the 210th Replacement Company on 2 Febuary 1944, from the 211th Replacment Company (formerly Company C, 54th Replacement Battalion), with which he had served since being graduated from Officer Candidate School No. 2, Army Administrations Schools, Grinnell, Iowa, on 12 May 1943.

Captain Hart was a former Regular Army enlisted man, having served from 11 June 1931 to 110 June 1934. He again entered service on 13 January 1942 and was serving as Master Sergeant with the 7th Air Force when he was selected to attend Officer Candidate School. He has seen service in the Hawaiian Department and at Midway, as well as in the United States and in England, and, as a civilian, witnessed the bombing of Pearl Harbor on 7 December 1941. He was born in Colfax, Washington, 26 August 1907.

(5)    At the time of arrival in the United Kingdom, the Company had a strength of 4 officers and 31 enlisted men.  On 30 September 1944 the strength was 3 officers and 31 enlisted men. See appendix “D”.

(6)    Facilities.  The 210th Replacement Company operates two camps for casual enlisted personnel; Railroad and Abby Park, and has casual officers in three quarters; 28 Northlode, The Poplars, and Hillside. Abbey Park is composed of hutments, Railroad Camp is part hutments and part buildings provided by the British. The rest of the facilities are buildings taken over from the British. Messes area operated in both camps, that at Abby Park being a large, double hutment, and that at Railroad Camp being a large building belonging to the British.

(c). Functions. The function of a Replacement Company is the reception, administration, supply, training, and preparation for transfer of replacements, as directed by higher authority.

(d). Operations. During the past three months the 210th Replacement Company has received a total of 161 casual officers and 1990 casual enlisted men, and transferred 141 casual officers and 1613 enlisted men, leaving a strength of 72 officers and 826 enlisted men as of 30 June, 1944. In addition a number of officers and enlisted men were processed for Detached Service.   See Appendices “E” and “F”.

(e) Awards and Citations.  No personnel have been honored since the Company arrived in the United Kingdom, but personnel shown in appendix “C” were honored in the United States by the 12th Replacement Depot.

(f) Additional Data.  The 210th Replacement Company is attached to Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 54th Replacement Battalion, which is in turn attached to the 9th Replacement Depot. The Company is assisted in training by Troop B, 2nd Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron.

IRA W. HART

Capt., AUS

Commanding

—————————————————————————————-

 S E C R E T

54th Replacement Battalion

210th Replacement Company

                                                                                                            APO 551

8 October 1944

HISTORY1 JULY TO SEPTEMBER 1944

 

a.       Unit or Installation. The 210th Replacement Company is located at Tidworth Barracks, Tidworth, Wilts, England, map coordinates VU 6869, Ordnance Survey Ten-Mile map of Great Britian.

b.      Organization and establishment.

(1)    Activation. The 210th Replacement Company came into existence as such on 1 November 1943, when Company B, 54th Replacement Battalion was reorganized and redesignated as the 210th Replacement Company, in compliance with General order No. 34, Headquarters, Camp Butner, North Carolina, 1943.  Company B, with the rest of the 54th Replacement Battalion, had been activated 25 May 1943 in accordance with General Order no. 11, Headquarters, Camp Sutton, North Carolina, 1943.

(2)    Boundaries and locations.

(a)    The 54th Replacement Battalion was activated at Camp Sutton, North Carolina, about one mile from Monroe, North Carolina.

(b)   In August 1943 the Battalion was removed to Camp Butner, North Carolina, about 15 miles north of Durham, North Carolina, at which location the reorganization and redesignation of 1 November 1943 took place.

(c)    On 18-19 December 1943, the 210th Replacement Company was removed to Comp Kilmer, New Jersey.

(d)   The 210th Replacement Company departed from New York on 8 January 1944 via liner Mauretania and debarked at Liverpool England, on 19 January 1944 and then traveled by rail to Frome, Somerset, and then to Glastonbury by motor convoy, arriving 19 January 1944.

(e)    On 8 August 1944 the 210th Replacement Company moved by motor convoy to Tidworth Barracks, Wilts.

(3)    Roster of Officers. See Appendix “C” for roster of officers with changes.*

(4)    Biographical information on Commanding officers.

(a)                George B. Erdman, First Lt. Infantry, 01316395, was commanding officer of the 210th Replacement Company when it arrived in the United Kingdom, having assumed command of the Company on 4 September 1943, relieving 2nd Lt. Alton U. Robinson, Infantry who had commanded the Company (then Company B), since its activation. Lt. Erdman had been assigned to Headquarters and to Company A of the Battalion prior to the time he joined Company B.

Lt. Erdman was born 16 January 1903. He had an extensive military background, having served with the United States Marine Corps from 26 August 1920 to 25 August 1922 and from 26 April 1923 to 17 May 1927 and with the Marine Corps Reserve from 18 May 1927 to 17 May 1931. He was inducted into the Army of the United States on 18 June 1942 and was commissioned a 2nd Lt, Infantry, 1 April 1943, following his graduation from Infantry Officer Candidate School, Fort Benning, Georgia. He was promoted to 1st Lt. On 23 October 1943.

Following a period of hospitalization, Lt. Erdman was transferred to the Detachment of Patients, 298th General Hospital, on or about 18 March 1944. He was then reassigned and joined from the 10th Replacement Depot to this company on 15 April 1944. Appointed Company Commander of Abby Park Camp, on 1 May 1944, he went on Detached Service to 10th Replacement Depot APO 874. On 24 May 1944 he was transferred to Casual Detachment 56, 15th Replacement Battalion.

(b)     IRA W. HART, Captain, Army of the United States, 01895711, was transferred to, and assumed command of the 210th Replacement Company on 2 Febuary 1944, from the 211th Replacment Company (formerly Company C, 54th Replacement Battalion), with which he had served since being graduated from Officer Candidate School No. 2, Army Administrations Schools, Grinnell, Iowa, on 12 May 1943.

Captain Hart was a former Regular Army enlisted man, having served from 11 June 1931 to 110 June 1934. He again entered service on 13 January 1942 and was serving as Master Sergeant with the 7th Air Force when he was selected to attend Officer Candidate School. He has seen service in the Hawaiian Department and at Midway, as well as in the United States and in England, and, as a civilian, witnessed the bombing of Pearl Harbor on 7 December 1941. He was born in Colfax, Washington, 26 August 1907.

(5)    At the time of arrival in the United Kingdom, the Company had a strength of 4 officers and 31 enlisted men.  On 30 September 1944 the strength was 3 officers and 31 enlisted men. See appendix “D”.

(6)    Facilities. The 210th Replacement Company and attached unassigned personnel are occupying married enlisted men’s quarters. The mess hall is ½ of a garage and is operated in conjunction with Company C, 118th Infantry Regiment.

(c). Functions. The function of a Replacement Company is the reception, administration, supply, training, and preparation for transfer of replacements, as directed by higher authority.

(d). Operations. During the past three months the 210th Replacement Company has received a total of 356 officers and 2083 enlisted men, and transferred 417 officers and 2319 enlisted men, leaving a replacement strength of 17 officers and 555 enlisted men, as of 30 September 1944. In addition a number of officers and enlisted men were processed for Detached Service. At present this Company is processing two detachments of casuals of various branches of Services for conversion to Infantry. See Appendices “E” and “F”.

(e) Awards and Citations.  No personnel have been honored since the Company arrived in the United Kingdom.

(f) Additional Data.  The 210th Replacement Company is attached to Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 54th Replacement Battalion, which is in turn attached to the 12 Replacement Depot. The Company is assisted in training by Company C, 118th Infantry Regiment.

IRA W. HART

Capt., AUS

Commanding

* Roster of officer data included in Officer page on website.

2 thoughts on “210th Replacement Company.

  1. Pingback: Help reading a Company Morning Report - Page 2

  2. Pingback: US Army "Repple Depple" system - Page 2

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s